Before starting your home buying search, there are a few rules you need to know and follow. As you Realtor®, I am going to walk you through the basics to ensure that you are successful in the largest purchase you will ever make!
Here are the 5 rules to follow when it comes to your home hunting process:
1. Get pre-approved with a lender, aka loan officer. Your bank, a local lender or a lender that is referred by your Realtor®(aka ME. Being referred to a lender who your Realtor® trusts and has worked with for more than 15 years, gives you an advantage. Your Realtor®wants a lender that add unwanted fees, who will find you the best interest rate and who knows how to get you to the closing table by navigating the hiccups and struggles along the way. My pick is Jennifer Hernandez!
2. Find ONE Realtor®(aka Real Estate Agent, aka ME) who can represent YOU! Choose someone you like and trust so you are able to get the advice you need every step of the way. Going with a seasoned agent does have its perks. An agent who has had many closings has the knowledge of the many different aspects of the buying process. If you are reading this, it is likely that I am the agent you want!
3. After setting your budget, start your search below that amount. Regardless of the climate of the current market, starting too high might not be realistic for you because in a market like we have had, some homes are still selling for over list price and you won't be able to compete - especially if you want to ask for seller contribution or are using a down payment assistance program to purchase the home.
4. Learn how online listing sites such as Realtor.com and Zillow.com work. If you contact the agent that is listed on a home for sale online, chance are you will not reach the listing agent who might have all your answers. These sites have designated agents who are paying to be advertised on the site. When you reach out, you will get the agent who is hoping to win your business. Keep this in mind, especially if you have already chosen your agent. ALWAYS call YOUR Realtor® when you are interested in a home. Your Realtor® will have access to all the hidden information in the MLS because she pays to be a member of the association and if there is something the MLS doesn't provide, your agent will work endless hours to find the answers for you.
5. Learn the flow of the complete process by scheduling your free consultation with ME, your Realtor®. Call, text or DM me today to set up a time that is convenient for you. Even if you don't plan to purchase for some time, it is best to meet now so I can help you devise a plan to save for your down payment, tips on how to raise your credit score and more!
Your Realtor® for LIFE!
Melissa Hill, Broker